Last Updated: April 26, 2022
COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Information we Process on behalf of our Clients:
- Provision of Services: Blue J Legal provides a research and analysis platform for tax and legal issues through the Blue J Legal Platform (the “Services”). In the course of providing these Services, we may obtain personal information about our customers’ clients. We require our customers to ensure that they have obtained all authority to provide personal information to us in accordance with applicable privacy laws. We do not collect or use client personal information of our customers for any purpose other than to provide services on behalf of our customers.
- Usage Data: We may monitor use of the Services by our customers’ employees or other authorized users in order to detect, investigate or prevent any actual or potential violation of our terms and conditions. We may also generate aggregated, non-identifiable data and use such information to monitor the performance, use and stability of the Services and to improve the Services.
Information we Collect and Use through our Website and other interactions:
- Online Account: If you are a customer, you will be provided with a user account in order to access and use the Blue J Legal Platform. We will collect your name, business contact information and payment information in order to create and administer your user account, and you will be issued with a username and password login credentials. You must keep your username and password secure and not share it with anyone else either within or outside your organization. We will never ask you for your password in any unsolicited communication (such as letters, phone calls or email messages).
- Request a Demo or Pricing: When you request a demo or pricing, we may ask for your name, work email address, company name, and which product you are interested in. We use this information to contact you and otherwise facilitate your demo or provide you with a quote.
- Subscribe to our Newsletter: If you subscribe to our newsletter, we will collect certain information such as your name, company name, work email address and areas of interest. If you no longer wish to receive these communications, you may unsubscribe any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the newsletter or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a Job Application: If you apply for a job at Blue J Legal, you may provide us with certain personal information about yourself, such as information contained in a resume, cover letter, or similar employment-related materials. With your permission, we may also collect information about you from references you have provided to us. We may also obtain information about you from third party recruiting companies or websites. We use this information for the purpose of processing and responding to your application for current and future career opportunities and assessing your suitability for employment.
- Contact Us: When you contact us with a comment, question or complaint such as through email, telephone, the contact us form online or by starting a live chat on our Website, you may be asked for information that identifies you, such as your name, address and a telephone number, along with additional information we need to help us promptly answer your question or respond to your comment. We may retain this information to assist you in the future and to improve our customer service and service offerings.
- Website Information: See “INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE WHEN YOU VISIT OUR WEBSITE”
USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Here is a list of how we use your information:
- Facilitate the creation of and securing of your account;
- Identify you as a user in the Blue J Legal Platform;
- Improve the Services, Blue J Legal Platform, Website and how we operate our business;
- Understand and enhance your experience using the Blue J Legal Platform and Website;
- Provide and deliver products and services, including the Services, that you request, including securing, troubleshooting, and personalizing those products;
- Respond to your comments or questions and for our support team to provide service;
- Send you related information, including confirmations, invoices, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Communicate with you about promotions, upcoming events and news about products and services offered by Blue J Legal and our selected partners, and for other marketing purposes of Blue J Legal; and
- Protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorized, or illegal activity.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may transfer or disclose personal information as follows:
- Service Provider Arrangements: In connection with our Website or Services, we may transfer (or otherwise make available) personal information to third parties who provide services on our behalf. For example, we may use service providers to process payments, provide advertising and analytics services, host our Website and store information on our behalf. Our service providers are given the information they need to perform their designated functions, and we do not authorize them to use or disclose personal information for their own marketing or other purposes.
Personal information may be maintained and processed by third-party service providers in the US, Canada and other jurisdictions. For more information about the way in which our service providers treat personal information, contact us as set out in the “Contact Us” section below.
- Legal: Blue J Legal and our Canadian, US and other service providers and affiliates may disclose your personal information in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order (which may include lawful access by Canadian, US or other foreign governmental authorities, courts or law enforcement agencies), to other organizations in the case of investigating a breach of an agreement or contravention of law or detecting, suppressing or preventing fraud, or as otherwise required or permitted by applicable Canadian, US or other law. Where a disclosure of our customers’ information is required by applicable law or court order, we promptly notify our customer prior to complying with such requirements (unless prohibited from doing so by applicable law). We will fully co-operate with our customer’s instructions with respect to our response under applicable law.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND USE WHEN YOU VISIT OUR WEBSITE
Visiting our Website: We collect the IP (Internet protocol) addresses of all visitors to our Website and other related information such as page requests, browser type, operating system and average time spent on our Website. We use this information to help us understand our Website activity, and to monitor and improve our Website.
Analytics: We may use a third party such as Google Analytics to help us gather and analyze information about the areas visited on the websites (such as the pages most read, time spent, search terms and other engagement data) in order to evaluate and improve the user experience and the convenience of the websites. For more information or to opt-out, see “How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps” and “Google Analytics and Privacy”.
We may work with third-parties such as ad networks and other advertising companies (including social media platforms) that use their own tracking technologies (including cookies and pixel tags) on our Website in order to provide you with tailored advertisements across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your activity on our Website and third-party websites (such as web pages you visit and your interaction with our advertising and other communications) and use this information to make predictions about your preferences, develop personalized content and deliver ads that are more relevant to you on third-party websites.
For more information about interest-based advertising on your desktop or mobile browser and to understand your options, including how you can opt-out of receiving behavioural ads from third-party advertising companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (“DAAC”), please visit the DAAC website at http://youradchoices.ca/choices.
Please note that even if you opt-out of interest-based advertising by a third-party, these tracking technologies may still collect data for other purposes including analytics and you will still see ads from us, but the ads will not be targeted based on behavioural information about you and may therefore be less relevant to you and your interests.
INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
The personal information we collect may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the jurisdiction you are in where we and our third-party service providers have operations. If you are located in the European Union (“EU“), your personal information may be processed outside of the EU including in the United States; these international transfers of your personal information are made pursuant to appropriate safeguards, and, we will take suitable steps to ensure that your personal data is treated just as safely and securely as it would be within the EU and under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). Such measures shall include, but are not limited to, having Data Processing Agreements with applicable sub-processors and ensuring that such sub-processors have adequate security and data protection procedures in place aligned with the GDPR or any other applicable data protection law. If you wish to inquire further about these safeguards used, please contact us using the details set out at the end of this policy.
SECURITY AND RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We understand that data security is a critical issue for our customers and we are committed to safeguarding the personal information in our custody and under our control. We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical safeguards in an effort to protect against unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure of personal information in our custody and control. We cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website or the Blue J Legal Platform; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
If we receive a request from an individual to access or update personal information we process on behalf of a particular customer, we will direct that individual to the relevant customer. We will assist our customers wherever possible in responding to individual access requests.
If you submit personal information via our Website or otherwise provide us with your personal information, you may request access, update or correction of your personal information by submitting a written request to our Data Protection Officer (see “Contact Us” below). We may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying your identity.
EUROPEAN DATA PROTECTION RIGHTS
If the processing of personal information about you is subject to European Union data protection law, you have certain rights with respect to that information:
- You can request access to, and rectification or erasure of, personal information;
- If any automated processing of personal data is done with your consent or under a contract with you, you have a right to transfer or receive a copy of the personal information in a usable and portable format;
- If the processing of personal data is based on your consent, you can withdraw consent at any time for future processing;
- You can to object to, or obtain a restriction of, the processing of personal information under certain circumstances; and
- For residents of France, you can send us specific instructions regarding the use of your data after your death.
To make such requests, contact our Data Protection Officer (“DPO”) at email@example.com. We process data as a processor on behalf of our customers. If you are a customer of our customer, you should put requests to them or contact them. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, but we encourage you to first contact us with any questions or concerns.
We may rely on different lawful bases for collecting and processing personal information about you, for example, with your consent and/or as necessary to provide the products you use, operate our business, meet our contractual and legal obligations, protect the security of our systems and our customers, or fulfill other legitimate interests.
VeraSafe has been appointed as our representative in the United Kingdom for data protection matters, pursuant to Article 27 of the United Kingdom General Data Protection Regulation. If you are located within the United Kingdom, VeraSafe can be contacted in addition to or instead of our DPO, only on matters related to the processing of personal data.
To make such an inquiry, please contact VeraSafe using this contact form: https://verasafe.com/public-resources/contact-data-protection-representative or via telephone at: +44 (20) 4532 2003.
Data Protection Officer